Monday, July 8, 2013

My Own Little World

 A few years back, I believe either in Freshman or Sophomore year of High School, I read an interesting article that talked about how music can truly reflect our personalities and unconsciously show your emotions through a playlist, the most important playlist, iTunes "Top 25 Most Played" playlist.

It never dawned on me until that moment that the songs that I listen to most describe either my emotion at the time, my dreams, my problems, and what I truly believe in whether it be love, hope, and my future as a singer. I believe if you want to get closer to either a friend or relative, look at their playlist and strike up a conversation about why a particular song seems of interest or if you've notice that their playlist consist of sad/depressing songs ask them whats going on in their life or what troubles them.

 I believe you can notice a person more by their taste in music because music is universal and inspirational. As an Artist, I find inspiration in other peoples lyrics and emotion in their singing. Making music is personal and shows the artist weakness. Singers sing about love, death, life, and changing the world because they want the world to know how they feel, strike a connection around the globe, and analyze what is going on in their life and how to either move on, embracing it, or improving their life.

One great example is Adele, when I first discovered her music I will admit, I didn't like her. Her hit single in the U.S. was Chasing Pavements and it was being played in every restaurant, radio, and bathroom I could find. Then at the 2009 Grammy's, she won two Grammys leaving the demise of Leona Lewis who at the time I believed could be this next phenomenal in the music industry. Then one day, on Tumblr, this guy named Adam posted a video of Adele singing "Set Fire to the Rain" live and I was shocked that I loved the song. Then I heard "Turning Tables" and I immediately bought her album, "21", which I believe it will be one of the greatest album's of all time in the mere future!

While listening to her album, I could fully immerse myself in her music because 1) I understood her pain and even though I've never been in a relationship I understood that rawness of emotion pouring out in her lyrics and her voice. 2) Her music touched millions around the globe because she made it personal to the point where she did not tell you who was the heart breaker, but using words like "You", "I",  and "Me" struck accord to the listener to analyze themselves and feel empathy towards the singer.

When studying her music and life, I understood that for her, she needs to create music because it makes her wake up from her daydreaming and realize the situation at hand. Originally that album was supposed to be an happy album, but due to lack of productivity in the studio, she abandoned the project and then one day she wrote the first song for the album which is "Take It All" (Which is my favorite song and only song that I cry every time I hear/sing it). She performed it in front of her Ex-Boyfriend and soon enough, three weeks later they ended their relationship. Most people that I've encounter say that they love her music but cannot listen to it because it makes them depressed.

I find that constantly and I believe that people who mention that comment are the ones who don't analyze what is going in their life and her music finally gives them a big dose of reality(I could be wrong or right but it is my opinion!). I believe true artists are naturally crazy because like her and many others including myself, I could listen to a depressing or happy song and easily switch emotions as if each song is a living memory. Her songwriting is phenomenal and I praise her for writing music and not caring about money, fame, just the simplicity of a singer sharing a moment; sharing an experience when the audience and I hope one day I could do the same, inspire the world and sharing my emotions through my music.

Here is my "Top 25 Most Played Playlist":

1. "I Will Always Love You" from "The Bodyguard (Original Soundtrack)" by Whitney Houston. (Played 369 Times)

2. "Love Somebody" from "Overexposed" by Maroon 5. (Played 313 Times)

3. "Stay (feat. Mikkey Ekko)" from "Unapologetic" by Rihanna (Played 222 Times)

4. "Run to You" from "The Bodyguard (Original Soundtrack)" by Whitney Houston. (Played 217 Times)

5. "I Don't Believe You" from "Funhouse" by P!nk. (Played 198 Times)

6. "What A Good Boy" from "The Chase" by The Duke's Men. (Played 192 Times)


7. "Run Away With Me" from "Our First Mistake" by Michael Arden. (Played 183 Times)

8. "Bad" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 178 Times)

9. "Skyfall" from "Skyfall - Single" by Adele. (Played 175 Times)

10. "Turning Tables" from "21" by Adele. (Played 172 Times)

11. "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 166 Times)

12. "Leave Me Alone" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 164 Times)

13. "Just Good Friends" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 151 Times)

14. "Hurt" from "Back To Basics" by Christina Aguilera. (Played 142 Times)

15. "Move On" from "Sunday In The Park With George (Original Cast Recording)" by Bernadette Peters & Mandy Patinkin. (Played 137 Times)

16. "Don't Stop Me Now" from "Jazz" by Queen. (Played 135 Times)

17. "Man In The Mirror" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 133 Times)

18. "Fly Away" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 122 Times)

19. "Take It All" from "21" by Adele. (Played 120 Times)

20. "Just Give Me A Reason (feat. Nate Ruess)" from "The Truth About Love" by P!nk. (Played 120 Times)

21. "Better In Time" from "Spirit" by Leona Lewis. (Played 118 Times)

22. "Liberian Girl" from "Bad" by Michael Jackson. (Played 118 Times)

23. "I Have Nothing" from "The Bodyguard (Original Soundtrack)" by Whitney Houston. (Played 118 Times)

24. "Set Fire to the Rain" from "21" by Adele. (Played 113 Times)

25. "Someone Like You" from "21" by Adele. (Played 111 Times)


No comments:

Post a Comment