Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Flash, Vol. 4: Reverse by Francis Manapul


Rating: 


Francis Manapul did his magic again! Applause Applause Applause!


This entire volume is a full of action-pack adventure with a mix of time traveling and kick ass fighting! It almost made me forget how awful the first volume is in terms of storyline and lack of character background. In the previous volume we get a glimpse of the Reverse Flash and this time around we get the full package as he is murdering everyone who is connected to the speed force. When Barry rescued Iris and a few other civilians who were trapped in the speed force, every one of them got the ability of super speed. 

At first Barry Allen aka the Flash thought these people who he rescued died from accidental deaths but quickly he learns that someone is killing them and possibly their next target is Iris. When Flash finally attracts the attention of Reverse Flash all hell breaks loose. We find out his whole backstory and essentially his true identity. I have to admit I was surprised and mad that I didn't figure out his identity sooner! What I love about this plot is we discover that Flash and the Reverse Flash are the same coin just different sides and I actually understand the Reverse Flash motives.

What makes a villain phenomenal besides how they don't have any limits because of their insanity is we can relate to them and possibly could have ended up like them if we dealt the same fate as these iconic characters. The Reverse Flash ability is he can go backwards in time and the main reason why he got that ability is he wants to fix all the wrongs that ruin his life and his family and while that may seem pure intention, he goes to the extreme as killing those who abuse him to have a better outcome in the future.

Every human being on this planet wishes they could go back in time and fix all the mistakes that inflicted us pain. While that may seem marvelous to fix, you never know the consequences when dealing with time and at the end of the day we learn from our mistakes. I guarantee you that most of my mistakes were dealing with boys but if I didn't experience it then I would have been gullible and too focus on the guy then taking care of myself. During that time I felt horrible and miserable but I learned that I needed to focus on myself and my self-esteem in order to learn how to love myself before investing my time into a relationship.

Enough about me and more about the Flash...

We get some juicy details about Barry Allen's past like how Iris West had the hots for Barry and they passionately kissed in Gotham before Barry dated Patty. It is obvious that Iris loves Barry and she doesn't try to seduce him yet its clear that her emotions are out in the open and whenever Barry is disguised as the Flash, it shows that deep down he cares deeply for Iris. I have a feeling that Patty is going to get killed because Barry needs to end up with Iris.

In the comics I could careless about Patty because her relationship with Barry sounds desperate like she never dreamed of being with some that is handsome like Barry and now that she is dating him she walks around eggshells hoping nothing bad will happen whereas with Iris I feel warmth and safety and I do not know if the writers have done it intentionally or not but its clear that Iris will be with Barry by the end of the series. If you wanted to talk about the tv show, while I want Barry to be with Iris, I was heartbroken when he broke up with Patty Spivot. 

Before I forget we get to meet Kid Flash from the Teen Titans which was extremely random and I hope it is not the last time we see him because I want to know about his past life, whats his connection to the Flash, and I believe he is the child of Reversible Flash. I cannot get enough of this comic and I hope the next one can live up to the high expectations of this volume!

No comments:

Post a Comment