Saturday, April 9, 2016

Red: A Crayon's Story by Michael Hall


Rating: 

When it comes to this book I have mixed feelings because the message that the author was trying to illustrate in this book failed to grasp my attention and made it seem this book was similar to "The Days the Crayons Quit". I did not read the description of this book before reading it and I believe whether or not someone did it still wouldn't have change the outcome of this story.

We meet this Red Crayon that for some apparent reason is coloring Blue and not Red. Teachers, parents, and family members try to encourage the Red crayon to start coloring red but no avail and at a certain point the Red Crayon discovers that you can't change who you are and discovers that it's perfectly normal to draw with the color Blue and they live happily ever after. The End.

Forget the hidden meaning at first, in my imagination I'm figuring well if the Red crayon is drawing Blue then clearing they put the wrong label on the crayon and they should fix it. Then I smacked my head and realize that this story deals with LGBT people and this made me angry. I have nothing against teaching kids about LGBT and how theres nothing wrong with being Straight but this book failed to deliver. I do not believe children would understand the hidden meaning behind this story and there is so many creative ways to illustrate that you are born different when it comes to being attracted to someone compare to this story. I'm sorry for my rant but the story doesn't make sense because if you are a crayon labeled Red but you are drawing blue then you got the wrong label but maybe I am reading this book wrong. 

I really like the illustrations and because of it and being in a good mood I rate this 4 stars instead of 3 because at the end of the day I believe children will enjoy this even though it doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment