Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett


Rating: ★ 1/2

The illustrations in the book is marvelous and it looks like it could have been paintings because the effort they put into the details and marking off the days till Christmas on the sides is absolutely brilliant and spectacular all around. If I had to write a review for this book solely on the illustrations it would automatically be 5 Stars material but unfortunately the story tells a complete different story.

The main character of the story, Teeka, which I have no clue whether she is related to Santa Claus or if she is an Elf (Which I believe is the latter) is assigned the task of getting Santa's reindeers prepare for the most important night of the year. Teeka is excited because this feels like a honor to perform this task but also anxious because she does not want to disappoint Santa or fail the task. 

Immediately Teeka begins the task of getting the reindeers and clearly right from the beginning it becomes a mission impossible. Teeka is preoccupied with accomplishing this task that she doesn't pay attention and offer any love or companionship to the Reindeers and because they have never experience this chaos before it becomes difficult for them to perform their task.

The biggest part that really ruin this book for me and it could have been the perfect book for Christmas is that the author gave completely different names to the reindeers. I'm sorry but everyone and their mother know the names of the iconic reindeers and automatically when someone sees the title and cover of this book they are going to expect the reindeers that they know and love. 

I can completely understand if you include some new reindeers to the bunch but for the most part by naming these reindeers by different and weird names (such as Bramble, Heather, Windswept, Lichen, Snowball, Crag, Twilight and Tundra) it pulling me out of the story immediately and gets 4 stars but I am nice enough to give it 4.5 Stars.

That is my only complain about this book and I do not know why this author changed the names because in the last few pages you see on the sidelines some wood carvings of reindeers and you see Dancer and Blitzen. Then it begs the question did all the iconic reindeers died? I thought they were immortal like Santa? So Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is dead too and now the children have to deal with this topic and that alone is another headache.

I am sorry for this rant but tiny pet peeve of mine just exploded with this Christmas book especially in the time where in 3 days I am going to see Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and I am losing my patience over here. Luckily I did this review first because the next review which is Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree was a beautiful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment