Monday, August 19, 2013

The Amen Corner by James Baldwin


My Rating: 4 Stars

I've read James Baldwin before and when searching through plays at my local library I came across James Baldwin's play, The Amen Corner.

I was shocked to believe that he actually wrote not only one but two plays in his lifetime. He is a remarkable  writer and the tone of his writing is by far one of the best in English literature.

For his first attempt in playwriting, the story was shocking with how this very influential pastor, Sister Margaret Alexander left her past and created a new one with the help of the church,  only by the demise of her ex-husband, Luke (who shows up after ten years waiting for death to parish him) her world crumbles into pieces.

I love the fight scenes between Margaret and Luke, and the hypocrisy between members of the church who wait for the perfect time to destroy all the hard work that Margaret involved herself with the church.

The beginning was rough to focus because after every incomplete sentence, James Baldwin substituted an Amen! Which really got on my nerves!! After the first act, that's when the storyline and climax truly pick up. I recommend this book for anyone who loves characters who live in their paradox or any Toni Morrison readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment