Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Go To Songs

Day Three of this music challenge follows up with this question: What song makes you happy? For me, what extinguish a song to make me happy follows  three simple qualities: the lyrics, the artists voice, and the instrumentation.

Many great artists that I have come to learn and love have that special quality in which I love the lyrics, their voice, and the instrumentation is beyond spectacular. I hope to achieve that same great quality in my music. Since I have too many songs, I will post 4 songs: 1 song from my iTunes Top 25 Most Played Playlist, and the other three are songs that I think anyone should check out.

1. "Man In The Mirror" by Michael Jackson

Of course I would pick Michael Jackson, any of his songs would make me happy unless its a depressing song. He is close to perfection as an artist, never satisfied but creating beautiful art. He pushed the boundaries when it comes to music and the barrier of racial integration in music. This song always get to me and always make me feel like I want to accomplish more in life and become a better person. 

Like many people including Beyoncé have mentioned about how Michael Jackson was able to interpret his music through his emotions, hard work, and dedication and how he simply would forget about vocal technique and transform into this different persona and show the world a glimpse of who he truly was. I love this live performance at the Grammys and how he changed the ad-lib the ending of this performance. 

It shows at one point that he is so absorbed into his music that he does not realize that the head director of the church choir raised him up from the floor. His dancing is spectacular and mesmerizing. It is moments like this that I truly miss him and his performances.

2. "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon

Paul Simon is one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th Century. He writes about pain, love, lost, and mostly songs that reflects about his life. One of his greatest albums of all time, Graceland, talks about his journey to Africa and enriching their culture through his music with African themes. He sings about poverty, love, and life through this album and this song always cheers me up!

This song talks about a man who is entering his midlife crisis and many would think that is a depressing song but I love his voice and later on the lyrics change from his life to Africa. I've never seen this video and I find it hilarious with Chevy Chase from Saturday Night Live.

I recommend everyone to listen to Graceland by Paul Simon and truly treasure it because when I was younger, I didn't like Paul Simon but once I gave it a chance to listen to this album and some songs from Simon & Garfunkel, my world has utterly changed since that moment of time.


3. "What A Fool Believes" by The Doobie Brothers

I am always a fan of music of today but as well of the past. Until I found this song, I've never heard of it even though it is extremely popular. I was doing research on Michael Jackson and the Grammys and I was curious to see a list of songs that were either nominated or won under the categories of Song of the Year and Record of the Year and this song did in 1979. It is a really great song that makes me wanna jam and Michael McDonald has such soothing voice in this song and I adore his falsetto.


4. "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney

This song is by far one of the greatest love songs dedicated to someone. Paul McCartney wrote this for the love of his life, Linda McCartney. Sadly, she passed away from a tragic battle of Cancer and when he wrote this song, it was a critical point in his life.

 The Beatles had finally broken up which devastated the universe because no one ever realize that this fantastic four duo would ever separate because they wrote beautiful music that inspire the world and even till this day, everyone in the planet knows who The Beatles are and have at least one favorite song from them. When they had broken up, each member realized an solo album and many record companies wanted to figure out which Beatle would sell better and the winner was Paul McCartney with his solo album, McCartney.

Even though this song was never a single, I love the lyrics and raw emotions that pulls from Paul McCartney's voice. It is rather interesting to know that many people have tried to do a cover of this song and fail every time because no one can ever be Paul McCartney. People do not realize that when an artist writes a particular song and it becomes a hit, this artist has memories and emotions attach to it and no matter how long an artist can describe to you about the creation of an album or a song, no one ever knows what is going through the mind of an artist. That is why this song is extremely difficult to sing and I truly love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment