Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Trip To The Bookstores

 One of the greatest perks of becoming an avid book reader, is taking a splendid trip to a bookstore. My sister needed to buy some books to take on her trip to Costa Rica and I needed to buy some books that either unfortunately the Library either does not provide or I know for a fact that by popular demand I will not flexible time to read within an time frame.

I do not know many people nowadays who participated in the avid competition of Borders v.s. Barnes and Noble? I honestly prefer Borders at the time especially for their low prices and the concept of constantly providing rewards and satisfaction towards their costumers. I do not have any current issues with B&N but I feel as though they aren't concern with hearing the feedback with their consumers. Books are EXPENSIVE, (let me repeat) Books are EXTREMELY expensive.

I understand times are rough, and more consumers are reaching out towards the local Library which I utterly support when it comes to growing ones knowledge and social awareness. The library is an sanctuary where one can detached from life and enjoy the perks of reading, and tuning to the background music of pages turning and keyboards clicking away as someone surfs the net. 

*FELLOW CITIZENS*
Here in Miami-Dade County, The Mayor, and other fellow commissioners as an attempt to not raise taxes because of factors like (building an stadium)  seeks to close 22 Branches of the Library and the Fire Department in return laying off easily 400-500 workers. I find it horrifying that the two services that can save many individuals lives are easily being dismiss in the growth of learning and safety. I am hoping that this situation can be fixed but I am scared of the outcome that lies ahead. Truly I believe Miami is going down the tubes...

Anyways, I prefer checking out in the Library but recently the books that I demand aren't available so I bought the books I desperately wanted and it amazes me how easily 4 books = $100! $100=groceries, a tank of gas, 20-25 CD'S, clothes, and 5 Adult Tickets to the Movies. Its shocking how the times are changing and even though E-Readers are the new fancy in Technology, what happens to those who cannot afford an E-Reader/iPad? Or simply to those who just want a book in which the words literally pop out and grab the attention of the reader? Now B&N are going through the crisis and what is going to happen if they run out of business?... Will it be the end of Hardcover and Paperbacks?...

P.S. Here Is The List of My Purchased Books:


  1. The Giver by Lois Lowry ($6.99)- Why I got this book is mainly because I always get recommended on Goodreads and somehow I keep imagining there is a correlation between this book and The Hunger Games.
  2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card ($6.99)- I always have this fascination when I discover a book is later adapted into a movie. Hopefully I will get the chance to read the book so I can compare and contrast while watching the movie with the fabulous Harrison Ford.
  3. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed ($15.95)- Spiritual journeys/Self Discovery is truly remarkable when faced with the toughest moments in life. I loved Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert so in this case this is the more realistic nature/Henry Thoreau approach when it comes to changing your life.
  4. The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp ($8.99)- I am a total sucker when it comes to anything romantic/romantic comedy. I found this book through one of my goodreads friends and found out they made it into a movie which I absolutely love the trailer. I really like those stories where suddenly your life changes from being lonely to meeting your soul mate.
  5. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick ($15)- I AM DYING TO READ THIS BOOK AND WATCH THE MOVIE!!!! I wanted to read this and place an order in the library but if I did, I would still be waiting for the book and I do not have time to waste...
  6. Joyland by Stephen King ($12.95)- I have too many of his books on my wishlist and unsuccessfully I had to stop reading 11/22/1963 because of the chaos of school. I am part of a bookclub in which this book could be August's Book of the Month. Its about 300 pages long so I am in good hands compare to 800.
  7. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling ($18)- I remember placing an early request of this book from the library and got to read only about 250 pages. I was beyond pissed because J.K. Rowling is a phenomenal author regardless whether or not she continues the Harry Potter series. I was so excited to read this book and got caught into the storyline and sadly the library permitted me only 15 days to read it and school really ruined my time frame. I knew the book would be on paperback the same day I would go to B&N plus her new book under her pseudonym name is sold out EVERYWHERE! The cover of the paperback is absolutely marvelous compare to the hardcover so I cannot wait!
  8. Under The Dome by Stephen King ($20)- The show on CBS is just marvelous when it comes to plot development and the visual graphics. I believe it is a miniseries instead of an actual tv show but nonetheless I am desperate to read this book. I really want to know more details about the characters and how the Dome got placed in Westchester Mills. Another great thing is I do not have to rush reading it because 20 other people want to check it out from the library.





No comments:

Post a Comment