Monday, October 27, 2014

Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez


Rating: 
Can I just say that how awesome it is to have Matt Bomer on the cover before he was famous? It goes to show you how people are oblivious to the past because if I knew beforehand that he was on the cover of this book, I would have known and suspected that he is gay.

Synopsis: Jason Carrillo is a jock with a steady girlfriend, but he can't stop dreaming about sex...with other guys.Kyle Meeks doesn't "look" gay, but he is. And he hopes he never has to tell anyone -- especially his parents.

Nelson Glassman is "out" to the entire world, but he can't tell the boy he loves that he wants to be more than just friends.

Three teenage boys, coming of age and out of the closet. In a revealing debut novel that percolates with passion and wit, Alex Sanchez follows these very different high-school seniors as their struggles with sexuality and intolerance draw them into a triangle of love, betrayal, and ultimately, friendship


My Review: Many years ago when I was in middle school, I was beginning to discover who I am and who I liked. I fought against being bullied around in school but I did not let those who caused me harm, to define who I am and that I had romantic feelings toward men. It was a scary feeling having these abnormal thoughts and feelings when the majority of the students around me were all heterosexual. 

Since I felt very single out, and in order to feel not left out, I went through a discovery phase in which I watched anything with gay content whether it be a television show or foreign soap opera, singers who supported gay people, famous gay icons, HIV/AIDS, and countless other things that made me well knowledge towards my new cultural identity. I discovered this book online and remembering reading the first chapter and relating extremely to Jason Carrillo. No one in my family knew who I am (Currently they still don't except for my sister) and I felt like having this secret was like being a spy among my family and friends.  

Now that it has been about 7-8 years now since I discover my true identity and this brought back wonderful feelings of my upbringing and couldn't believe how much I could relate to these characters. I thought I was going to read a few chapters the first night but I read the entire book in one night. I kept finding myself enchanted by the writing and beautiful storytelling and realizing that this book is a great book for those who are still in the process of accepting themselves or want a simple book about accepting who you are, romance and friendship.

In the very beginning of this story, if I had to pick a character that could relate to me, no doubt it would be Nelson. When I was growing up, people sense I was very mature for my age and I believe part of it is because since I realize I was gay at an early age, I already went through the steps that countless teenagers are going through in high school and college. Nelson is more in touch with the gay culture, and not to mention is in love with his best friend of two years. I've never been in a relationship with a man yet and I have my fair share of heart breaks from friends and people I have encountered over the years. 

What made me relate to him more was the concept that Kyle could not reciprocate his feelings for Nelson and he got extremely mad and I felt those same emotions in the past. Its Nelson's fault that he never made any moves or indication that he was interested in Kyle and the idea of letting go is harder than one can imagine. We get caught up with this fantasy of who we want to be with and in reality there is a reason why things do not work out the way they do. At least Nelson meets a great guy in the end which in my life that was not the case. I related to Nelson in the beginning but felt like a complete stranger midway through because he does dangerous things could have gotten him killed or sick.

I love Jason and Kyle. I love the dynamic between the two and love the innocent moments they shared as Jason was discovering who he truly is and I feel that many could relate to Jason because he was someone who had a great relationship with a girl and yet slowly he started get in touch with his identity, he realized that something is wrong and that being gay is not a choice.

I believe the magical word for this book is innocence. These three characters are discovering who they are, who they love, and what it means to be intimate with another man. I really want to read the rest of the series and I hope it lives up to my expectations from this first book. I am really looking forward to these characters and I felt they have become a part of me. Thank you Alex Sanchez for finding characters I could relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment