Monday, October 27, 2014

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughn

Rating: 5 +++ Stars

I am grateful to have Brian K. Vaughan introduced to my life especially when I discovered his first magnum opus with Y: The Last Man. When I began my journey with Yorick Brown, I immediately wanted to read Saga and I am grateful that I actually waited. I believe that when you start a series, you should finish it before heading off to another series/world. Saga is going to be another wonderful edition to the amazingness of Brian K. Vaughn. I was actually surprised how these two series differ extremely and yet they are from the same creator.

Saga is a mixture of Star Wars, Fantasy/Magic, with a small dash of Romeo and Juliet. It begins the story about these two lovers, Alana and Marko whose species were at war together. Alana is a native from Landfall whereas Marko is from Wreath which is Landfall's only moon. Years ago, Landfall went to war with Wreath and even though the war ended, it has spread wildfire to other planets and galaxy. After the war ended, Alana got pregnant and when she gave birth to her baby girl named Hazel, they become one of the most wanted people in the galaxy. It's never been heard of that a child from Landfall and Wreath because the people from Wreath are magical and mixing those two together has either been impossible or dead as soon as they came into the world.

Having that set in mind, Hazel's life is in danger because every bounty hunter wants to capture her and her parents are willing to put up all the sacrifices needed to protect her. This series is unique and at the same time it feels like I'm familiar with the themes and plot. I believe Brian K. Vaughn is a pure genius and I welcome this brand new series into my life.

I'm very excited to read the next installment because I can picture multiple possibilities of what is to come for poor Hazel and I hope she becomes magical like her father because that could be a major story plot to this magnificent series.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has never read a graphic novel or wants something new to read. A lot of people say that this book is like Star Wars and I understand why because of the Sci-Fi world that Saga takes place in but I feel like if someone says that it is exactly like Star Wars, there is going to be some major disappointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment