Monday, November 30, 2015

Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes by Jason Aaron


Rating: 


May the Force be with You 


I believe this review must be epic to apologize for my lack of reading in these past few months.This GIF pretty sums up my feelings towards this new Star Wars comic series and Star Wars VII: Force Awakens. Whenever I get to watch the films, watch the television show, or read the books and comics, I get to feel like the little four year old I was when I saw Phantom Menace. Purely magical. That is an experience one does not forget for the rest of one's lifetime and I always try to reach the inner child of myself when it comes to fantasy worlds whether it be Harry Potter or Star Wars

When it comes to Marvel's 1st Star Wars comic, it deals with our iconic characters on a mission to destroy the largest weapons factory in the galaxy located in Cymoon 1 on the Corellian Industrial Center. The storyline takes place a few months after A New Hope and way before Empire Strikes Back . In order to destroy the factory, Han Solo disguises himself as a messenger for Jabba the Hutt to negotiate with Overseer and infiltrate the complex. Luke and Leia are disguised as bodyguards while Chewie stands as sniper, and C-3PO is hiding with the Millennium Falcon to not raise any suspicion. 

At first everything is going according to plan and they are able to begin the factory meltdown but are unaware that a surprise lurks in their mist. They thought that the Empire sent normal imperial troops to be the negotiator but in actuality it is Darth Vader who comes and rain on their parade. Believing that the rebel alliance would try to destroy the factory, he brought his reinforces to capture and kill these rebels. For believing it was going to be simple plan now the gang has to deal with all this drama which looks gloomier as every escape plan is detoured by the imperials.

I cannot write anymore because if I do then I will spoiler this first volume for those who are waiting for the traded paperback. I am fortunate enough to own the individual comics because I do not have the patience to wait for months on end to figure out what is happening in the Star Wars universe. But all I got to say is that there are a few surprises that come to mind with these iconic and lovable characters like Han Solo. What I love about this series is that they stay true to the characters and the writers perform an amazing job at transferring our characters from the films to paper. As I was reading this comic, I could not help myself having the characters voices in my head and for a moment it felt like I was watching Star Wars 4.5 then reading a comic book!

The illustrations were on point and the illustrators made it a point to get crucial detail towards making the characters look life-like and having the different battle scenes look creative and mind blowing. The ending on the final volume made my mouth drop in shock. Right after I finished reading this volume, my cravings for Star Wars has multiplied and I am trying to consume all that is available for me because I am at the edge of my seat trying to figure out what Star Wars 7 is about and there are endless possibilities of what it will be and whether it will live up to the fans expectations.

I find it difficult for these writers to create a fascinating story where we already know what happens to the characters but they perform above and beyond to cater to the die-hard fans, and to the beginners who are just getting to know the Star Wars universe. Even though I know these characters are going to survive, I was still swept away from the story and I believe that is the best form of storytelling where you capture your audience on the first page. For those who are wondering whether to read it or not, I highly recommend it not only for the plot but there are tons of details that was never able to be put into the movies and now we get the chance to learn more about Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and more. We get to understand why the characters behave the way they do and especially how Darth Vader figure out Luke Skywalker's name.

I hope everyone will enjoy these brand new series as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment