Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan


Rating: 

I am so shocked as to why I haven't read this series when it was first published. This book brought out different emotions for me and makes me want to devour every book that Rick Riordan has written when it comes to Greek Mythology. I could have finished this in 3 days and I need to read the complete series of Percy Jackson!

In many ways, I felt as though I can relate extremely to Percy Jackson and this story reminded me a lot with Harry Potter. The writing style, the quick pace of action, and even the font of the book reminded me of everything about Harry Potter which makes me love this series even more!!!

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, is about a 12 year old boy name Percy Jackson who seems like an outcast because he's been to a different school every year, suffers Dyslexia and ADHD, and has father abandonment issues. Then several months, weird events have happened without much explanation for Percy and he believes it's all in his imagination until one night, a Minotaur is sent to kill him and his mother and miraculous is brought safely to this camp called Half-Blood and it's where Percy discovers that everything of Greek Mythology is real and above all else he is the son of Poseidon, one of the three most powerful Gods you could possibly have as parent. But what's controversial is Poseidon, Zeus, and Hades weren't suppose to have children post WW2 and now Percy is on a quest to find Zeus's stolen Lightning Bolt which he blames Poseidon as the thief and if they do not find it when the summer solstice arrives, the world as we know it will crumble thanks to the Olympian Gods.

It took me 42 pages until finally I became an addict and I love the writing, and the characters which is a pure miracle for me! I thought I was gonna dislike Annabeth and Grover but at the end of the day I adore Annabeth and somehow I want her and Percy to be together even though technically they are cousins. I saw the movie before reading the book and thank God I did because the movie does not live up to the high expectations I have now thanks to this novel. 

Another thing that I need to mention and honestly I feel as though it is part of the reason it is a success is Percy's Mother. I loved how he included an adult figure in Percy's life and I can feel the love and heart-felt embrace she has for Percy and how much she sacrificed so Percy could have a normal life as much as possible. I believe with the addition of the mother, it brings such a huge gratitude towards mothers (especially my mother) everywhere and made this series for everyone regardless it is meant for middle schoolers.

Even though this a work of fiction, I could easily get absorbed into the storytelling and could imagine myself as Percy throughout this book which I believe is the main purpose of great book. If the writer can capture our attention and help us imagine ourselves as the character or riding alongside the main character than you have already won half the battle. Plus what made me believe that I could fill his shoes is when he has a conversation with his father and his father mentions,

 "Obedience does not come naturally to you, does it? No... sir. I must take some blame for that, I suppose. The sea does not like to be restrained."

When he made that ocean reference my mouth literally drops. I try my best to respect and obey my elders but I have that habit of if my mother cuts me off in the middle of what I am saying, my blood boils and I snapped back. I don't like to be restrained and not be acknowledge for my ideas or beliefs. And someone I know has mentioned that exact quote to me and they have never read or heard of Percy Jackson. At that moment I realize that given the choice to be a son of Olympian God, I would pick Poseidon. I cannot wait to read the rest of this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment