Friday, August 12, 2016

Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick


Rating: 


I wish this book was similar to Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh in which it provided great illustrations and information about Winnie. This book was written by the great granddaughter of Harry Colebourn who bought Winnie and yet for a lack of a better word this book was disappointing.

The illustrations are not my favorite because it didn't appeal to my interest and didn't make me feel connected to the story. Whenever you are writing a picture book, the illustrations are one of several crucial components in getting the reader absorbed into the story. Compare to the other book I saw how they made the illustrations look animated and full of life when drawing Harry and Winnie. The other issue I had was the author lacked a ton of details about Harry and Winnie and what happens after A.A. Milne wrote Winnie-the-Pooh. I was shocked about this because if anyone could provide the crucial details would be Lindsay Mattick.

Many would say oh but this was written for children and you have to sugarcoat the details and let them enjoy the story and the illustrations but that's ignorant both on not educating the reader and you would have to explain well the other book provided details as to when Harry and Winnie passed away and what happen to them when WWI was over and Winnie stayed in the Zoo.

The author wrote this for her son for him to learn about their family history and how they are connected to one of the most iconic fictional Bears of all time and yet I believe the author could have done a better job. When it comes to the rating for this book I am being generous by giving it 4 stars because I realized that this book shouldn't have been published for the public instead for her family to have and treasured. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you love everything about Winnie-the-Pooh and need to consume every book possible.

If you want a short and simple yet informative book then I recommend Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh

P.S. If you get teary-eyed when Harry leaves Winnie in the London Zoo like me then be prepared to get the water works again. I wanted to cry when reading the other book and I thought I was prepared for it when reading this book but nope still get emotional at the right spot. Damn you empathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment