Saturday, August 13, 2016

My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me by Maya Angelou


Rating: 


When it comes to this book I see Maya Angelou getting excited about writing and in particular writing Children books. We get to see the whimsical side of her and I wish I could have loved this and rated it 5 stars but I feel as though Maya fell short on this poem.

Instead of creating an original poem and incorporating illustrations or beautiful artwork instead she told a story through photographs. The photographs were already taken and she tried to make a fun and entertaining read which I believe she conquered in the beginning of the poem but by the time I reached the ending I felt like she lacked information about the Ndebele women and the growth of her characters.

I have no clue how to pronounce Ndebele which should have been incorporated into the book, I have no clue about African culture except women like to paint their houses with beautiful patterns and design. It's been a few days since I read this story and yet it's already forgettable which speaks volume for me because my memory is one of the best. 

The photographs are marvelous and really capture the beauty of the artwork and I believe it's the reason why I rated this book 4 stars instead of 3. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like Maya Angelou or want to read a bit about African culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment