Saturday, August 13, 2016

Life Doesn't Frighten Me by Maya Angelou


Rating: 

I read this book a few years back and loved the simplicity of the poem and the beautiful artwork of Jean-Michel Basquiat. I discovered his artwork while I was in high school and I remember telling artist about him and they didn't have a clue who he was let alone his artwork. 

Then I picked up this book again because I saw the democratic convention and saw this politician and he referenced Maya Angelou poem in his speech which I disliked because he twisted the meaning of her poem to satisfy his message and I am against using art in whichever format to cater to your propaganda. After his speech it peaked my interest and I decided to see Maya Angelou's bibliography and I saw that she has written a ton of books and particularly children books so I decided to invest and reread this book to give it a review.

This poem I believe is great for children because it showcases how when life gets roughed we as human beings tend to become cowards and hide away from our problems which isn't a great decision but a normal responses when we are clueless to solving our problems. With this poem it helps the reader to realize that yes life can we difficult in different periods of our life but at the end of the day we must face our problems head on and look for the silver-lining or the rainbow at the end of a storm.

This poem can resonates for everyone whether you are reading it to your child or as a grown adult trying to figure out what to do with our personal and professional life. Plus with the beautiful artwork as illustrations it makes the whole experience heartwarming and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment